Homemade Fennel Cheddar Bread
- 1 tablespoon
- 1 cup
- 2 tablespoons
- 1 1/4 teaspoons
- 3 cups
(adding in more as needed)
- 1 cup
(can add in more cheese if desired)
- 1 -2 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 tablespoon
(can add in more to taste)
- 1In a mixing bowl, combine the yeast, warm water, sugar, salt and 1-1/2 cups flour; beat well with an electric hand mixer.
- 2By hand, add in the egg, cheese, fennel seed and dry onion, and as much of the remaining flour as needed to make a soft dough.
- 3Knead on a floured surface or in a heavy-duty stand mixer for about 8-10 minutes.
- 4Transfer to a greased bowl; cover and let rise until doubled (about 1 hour and 15-20 minutes, could take more or less time).
- 5Punch down dough.
- 6Remove from bowl onto lightly floured board; cut into 2 strips, and twist.
- 7Transfer to a slightly greased cookie sheet; tuck in ends of dough slightly.
- 8Cover with a clean tea towel, and let rise until double in bulk.
- 9If desired mix one egg
white with 1 teaspoon cold water, brush on bread then sprinkle with,
dryed onion, fennel seeds and cheddar before baking.
- 10Bake at 350 degrees (convection oven preferably) for 30 minutes.